Tuesday 18 September 2012

Wyclef Jean Reveals Affair with Lauryn Hill in Autobiography

Reports has that Wyclef Jean and Lauryn Hill have had a checkered history over the years, which has led to the two avoiding each other. Wyclef revealed in a prior interview that he and Hill haven't spoken in some time, and the two didn't seem to make a conscious effort to approach one another at Chris Lighty's funeral either.


Lauryn Noelle Hill (born May 25, 1975) is an American singer-songwriter, rapper, record producer, and actress. Early in her career, she established her reputation as an actress in Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit,and then as the front woman of the hip-hop group Fugees. In 1998, she launched her solo career with the release of the critically successful album and the 19m-seller, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.The album earned Hill five Grammy Awards, including the coveted Album of the Year and Best New Artist. To date, she has won a total of eight Grammys.
It's common knowledge that Wyclef Jean and Lauryn Hill have had a tumultuous relationship — the rift between the two singers is often cited as a primary reason for the downfall of The Fugees. But in his new memoir, Purpose, Wyclef for the first time reveals a particular incident that he says forever tarnished their bond. For the duration of her first pregnancy, Clef claims Lauryn led him to believe that the baby was his. 
Wyclef Jean & Lauryn Hill                
"Anyone who has seen the footage [of The 1997 Fugees concert in Haiti] might notice that Lauryn Hill was pregnant at that time. While we played those songs I believed that her child was mine," Wyclef writes, as excerpted by Necole Bitchie.
"For the next nine months, I assumed her child was mine. It was easy to do as we rode the wave of success. In my mind, it was complicated and dangerous, but it was beautiful, too: If Lauryn and I had a child together, it was, to me, a product of our music and everything we’d worked to achieve. It made sense to my heart, as much as I knew it was wrong in my mind."


At the time, Jean was married to Marie Claudette while Hill had been involved with Rohan Marley. It wasn't until the birth of the child, Hill's eldest son Zion, that Wyclef learned that Marley, not he, was the father. 
"When Lauryn gave birth, I learned the truth: the child wasn’t mine. It was Rohan Marley’s," he says. "And in that moment something died between us. I was married and Lauryn and I were having an affair, but she had led me to believe that the baby was mine, and I couldn’t forgive that. [..] She could no longer be my muse. Our love spell was broken through her creation."
Hill went on to have four more children with Marley and Wyclef remains married to Claudinette to this day. The Fugees, however, disbanded shortly thereafter.


In his autobiography titled "Purpose", Wyclef discusses the events which led to their separation. He confirmed that he indeed had an affair with Lauryn Hill during a certain point in time. Hill became pregnant by Rohan Marley, but Wyclef says she led him to believe that he was the father. Jean contended that was the determining factor in the break-up of The Fugees.
"In that moment something died between us. I was married and Lauryn and I were having an affair, but she led me to believe that the baby was mine, and I couldn't forgive that. She could no longer be my muse...Our love spell was broken."


What do you think of Wyclef's comments in his autobiography?

No comments:

Post a Comment